#24 Slowly Slowly, Catch a... Dressage Pony

In the words of David Gray, ‘My, oh my.’ What an absolute little SUPERSTAR Flora was at the dressage today. She makes my heart want to burst sometimes. Other times, I want to punch her in the nose (which I would never EVER do, by the way...just so we’re clear); but today was one of those days when I think I couldn’t possibly love her any more.



No, we’re not the perfect pair. I’m too soft. I can’t keep my hands in the right place. My right leg slips back. I tip forwards. She’s a bit stiff behind, opinionated to juuuuust the right side of naughtiness and, as a pair, I’m a tad too lanky for her (5’7” on a 15.3hh mare).

But...

We both hate dressage; yet the effort we have been putting in since the new year, actually trying to deal with our dressage demons, has been significant. And though we didn’t QUITE make the placings in our class today - which was a tough one featuring some good combinations - we did increase our percentage score (from our first ever attempt last month) by a not-too-shabby 4.5%. I’m hoping everyone reading this is familiar with dressage scoring, because if you’re not, it all sounds a bit shit. But if you are, you’ll know that that’s a definite and commendable improvement.



She was much, much more relaxed. Anxious giraffe? Yes, usually. Today? Not particularly. She was more forward. More rhythmic. My memory didn’t make me feel in danger of being tested for early onset Alzheimer’s (a disease which I have personal experience of). It was just...better.

Last month, we won a rosette and yet when I watched the video back, I really wasn’t happy with what I saw. I felt disappointed and I felt frustrated. Today, we came home ribbonless, but I can honestly say I am a hundred times happier about the way she felt, and after watching the footage back.

So, stressage or not, we will be entering again next month!

Watch this space...

(Here are a few snaps from our day, with varying degrees of quality)...💓

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#15 First Encounters of the Flora Kind

#4 It was Acceptable in the 80s (and 90s) Part I

#18 Project Relax Day 1