#22 Carrot Stretches Should Be Easier Than This

Putting 'carrot stretches' into a Google search reveals myriad images of successful attempts. Horses reaching into muscle-elasticating poses; contorting into others that release other parts of their anatomy. And, let's face it... why shouldn't they? How hard can it be to use a long, juicy carrot to encourage your horse to do this for the good of their physical wellbeing?

Well, let me tell you. It's not that easy. I have nearly lost digits as a result of this exercise.

The carrot stretch ponies of  the internet are like these Instagram stars with their own fitness pages. They're good at it, They're glam. They'll do anything for a healthy snack. They reach, gradually, into their stretch, tentatively mouthing at the yummy treat and holding the pose for long enough to feel the long term benefit.


Flora, on the other hand, treats carrot stretches like a petulant child with zero resilience. She tries for mere nanoseconds. She snatches at the carrot (fairly certain that secondary school PE taught us not to 'bounce' into stretches). Then refuses to try anymore, staring straight ahead, ears pointing back, nostrils wrinkled in disgust. If she could speak, she'd be saying, "I'm not doing it, you pestilent little human. Just give me the treat or go get f****d. I'd rather starve."

As frustrating as this is, it's just another way in which she's a bit like the equine version of me. My Facebook Timehop revealed just yesterday that it's a full 6 years since I even pretended I was gym-bound. I should be stretching too. Like Flora, I have a knotty neck and a dodgy right hip. Do I go? Nah. I'd rather just sit about and have the wine, and if anyone tried to make me do a sit-up for it, I'd probably headbutt them.

So, I can't blame her, but I also think we need to persevere. After having her physio, she was notably looser; more of a dressage diva and cleared fences with barely a knock. Most jumping sessions see a good couple of knock downs before she clears everything in sight. Coincidence, I think not.

My absolute favourite stretch, that involved the audible clicking, cracking and stretching of her sacroiliac region, is a further no-go, because she just will not stand still. Her bum tips under a teensy bit, then she's off - shuffling about, whether she's tied up or not. The forward stretches of her hindlegs are better. She's willing to put up with that. A little bit.

I really want her to stay loose and knot free since the benefits were so clear in the couple of weeks after her treatment. So if you have any tips Lee....., or anyone else who's been there, they are MOST welcome!

Anyway, I'm two thirds down a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc...and I haven't had to do a single stretch for it. Happy weekend (and half term), everybody.

Cheers!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#15 First Encounters of the Flora Kind

#4 It was Acceptable in the 80s (and 90s) Part I

#18 Project Relax Day 1